Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Another Recipe!!

Smoky Tomato Soup

This recipe falls under my category of Made-it-By-the-Recipe-and-Then-Tweaked-it-to-Make-it-MUCH-Better.  

I don't remember what I did to it to make it better because when we loved the new-and-improved version, I tossed the old recipe.  So here 'tis:




1 tbsp unsalted butter

1 tbsp olive oil

1 yellow onion, diced

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

2 tsp smoked paprika

2 tbsp tomato paste

1 can (28 oz.) of crushed tomatoes

1 can (15 oz.) fire-roasted diced tomatoes

Beef stock (vegetable stock for non-carnivores)

Pinch of sugar

1 rosemary sprig

1 bay leaf

Salt and pepper, to taste



1. In a large pot melt the butter into the olive oil.

2. Add the onion and cook over medium-high heat until tender.

3. Add the paprika, some salt and pepper, and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute or so.

4. Add garlic and tomato paste; cook for about 30 seconds.

5. De-glaze the pan with some beef (or veggie) stock.

6. Add the tomatoes, sugar, rosemary sprig, bay leaf, and about ½ cup beef (or veggie) stock.

7. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes.

8. Remove the rosemary sprig and bay leaf.

9. Season with salt and pepper, if needed, and serve.

I made this for knit night the time Lisa reproduced -- magnificently, I might add -- my Over-The-Top Grilled Cheese Sandwiches.

Forget the white loaf bread and the Kraft American cheese slices.  Get yourself some really good bakery bread and slice it a little thick.  Find three different kinds of deli cheeses, like Havarti, Gruyere, and aged white Cheddar or use your own combination (I don't think I'd use a bleu cheese for this, but to each his own).  Stack up 2 bread slices with the 3 cheese slices; generously butter the outside of each bread slice, all the way to the edge; and cook on a seasoned cast-iron griddle or skillet, until the bread is lightly browned and the cheese is melty.  YUMM-O!

Take care, y'all!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I frappe it when it's done? And strain for seeds? This does sound delicious otherwise. My eldest introduced me to grilled cheese with special ingredient (zucchini sauteed until it's the consistency of a spread - super creamy)!

BD

Bridget said...

Perfect! I'm gonna have to try this. I like tomato soup, but have never tried to make my own.

Teresa Dianne said...

That sounds great. I love smoked paprika!

Marie said...

BD (yes, I know who you are), I don't think there are any seeds in the canned tomato products called for in the recipe. I think you could very well "frappe" it. M

Marie said...

This one is pretty easy. M

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.