Saturday, January 21, 2012

Rules?!?! I Don't Need No Stinkin' Rules!

Actually that's not true.  If we didn't have rules, we would have chaos.


Jodi (of Under The Georgia Sun fame), posted this on her blog a day or so back.  It's an "about me" survey sort of thing, and the originator posted rules and Jodi edited them.  Here's her version:


The Rules:
1. Post the rules.
2. Post 11 fun facts about yourself.
3.  Answer the questions the tagger set for you in their post, and then create 11 new questions for the people you tag.
4. Tag 11 people and link them in your post.
5.  Let them know you've tagged them.


Facts about me (don't know how much fun these facts will be, but they'll be true facts (as opposed to untrue facts)):


1.  While I am nominally a Christian, I think I'm really an agnostic, defined by Prof. Huxley as: "One who holds that the existence of anything beyond and behind material phenomena is unknown and (so far as can be judged) unknowable, and especially that a First Cause and an unseen world are subjects of which we know nothing."  An agnostic is not the same as an atheist.  I can look around me and have faith that there is a higher power (or Higher Power) of some sort; just look at any sunrise or sunset, or the stars at night, or especially the full moon. Have you ever seen anything so gorgeous?  I don't know for a certainty that a Christian God created these things, and frankly, I prefer the mystery.  I don't feel the need to "know" everything.  That's why they call it Faith and not Knowledge.  I heard an Episcopal priest once say in a sermon that doubt is good; it keeps you curious.  Now I know there are some contradictions in this paragraph, but there you have it.  


2.  This will be my 127th post.


3.  I am a child of the Southeast, but I have also lived in the Northwest.  I went to library school in Seattle (go Huskies!)  mainly because I was feeling adventurous.  Seattle was where I attended my first major league baseball game (and the Mariner's won both of the ones I went to).  It's also where I experienced a live hockey game.  If I hadn't gone to UW, I probably would not have spent two months in England in the summer of 1987.  That was an experience I'll never forget.


4.  I met Richard because he, as a research scientist, came to the library to introduce himself to the librarian (that would be me) right after he started his work at the facility where I was.  I've heard of people who don't think they need libraries and librarians, but they really do. (Notice I said "need" not "want.")


5.  I love my in-laws.  There are some I like better than others, but I love them all, because they are fellow human beings and I believe in the Golden Rule.


6.  This one I brazenly stole from Jodi:  There are days when I would be perfectly happy not saying a single word; and other days when I can't shut up.  


7.  I like baking.  Unfortunately most baked items are also high-calorie goodies.  I have to temper my urge or Richard and I and all our friends would be roly-poly.  


8.  I used to be a person who indulged in retail therapy, but after my depression and subsequent recovery, I find that I don't need a lot of the kind of stuff I used to buy.  Although Richard may not believe it, I actually think twice before I make a purchase.  


9.  I love cats.  And I love dogs.  I don't mind little rodents, or even big bunnies.  We once had a (former) laboratory white rat named Gus.  Daddy brought it home from work.  We thought Gus was a little boy rat... until she produced a litter of little ratlets.  We changed her full name from Augustus to Augusta.  


10.  I have plans for my retirement.  If there is a God, I hope He's not up in Heaven guffawing at my plans.  I will mention what these plans are if they come to fruition.


11.  Growing old ain't so bad.  After so many years on Earth, you sort of get to know who you are, and you tend to not worry so much about what other people are thinking.  I've seen a t-shirt with this message:  "The older I get, the more people can kiss my ass."  I'm not quite that drastic, but don't tell me how to behave.  If others don't like me as I am, then perhaps that's their problem; I may work around that if I'm in a good mood.  A benefit of aging is that you tend to feel kinder toward everybody, but you're less likely to take a lot of crap.  Happy aging!  


I think I'll pass on answering the questions.  If you want to see what they are, go to Jodi's blog.  


And just because I like you, here's a pretty picture I swiped from Google Images:




This is somewhere in Canada.

 

4 comments:

Bridget said...

I enjoyed this post. We have a lot in common!

Theresa said...

Saying it was personal on fb brought out my nosy side. Ow I'm going to go read all the ones I've missed.

Jodi@ underthegeorgiasun.com said...

I'm curious about the retirement plans.... :o)

I think we'd get along for real, even though we do have different views on our faith. Especially if you'll bak me something! ;o)

have a wonderful week!!

Beverly said...

I love the "somewhere in Canada" photo! And I love "the older I get, the more people can kiss my ass". That one deserves to be done in needle point and framed on a wall.