Thursday, January 27, 2011

Sometimes It's Just The Simple Things...

Several years ago I was engaged in one of my pitiful efforts at decluttering and ran across some fabric that my mother had given me many years ago.

These pieces of fabric were actually old flour sacks from the 40s/50s that Mama had saved. She used to make clothes for my sister and me from the printed sacks.

I kept thinking that I would do something with them... eventually... but I never got around to it. When I came across them again I decided to give them to my friend Theresa. She sews and makes quilts and stuff like that.

Theresa was quite thrilled to get them and even did a post on her blog about them.

Well, as it turned out, Theresa never got around to doing anything with them either. (Sometimes we are both pretty pathetic.)

Then, come Christmas, and she had a brainstorm. She decided to make me napkins out of the flour sacks and give them to me as my gift.

When we were exchanging gifts, she kept hemming and hawing and being afraid I wouldn't like her gift. I told her to quit issuing disclaimers and just gimme the damned gift and when she finally gave it to me I was blown away.

It's so thoughtful. I now have fourteen nice napkins, with a history behind them. I plan to buy some neutral-colored placemats, and since we have white china, I can set the kind of eclectic table I like. I will be able to use my variety of pottery pieces for serving and happiness will ensue. I'll also get to tell their history to my guests when I use them.

Here are the napkins:



The prints are true to their era and I just love my napkins.

5 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

LOVE those! And how special!! I know you will cherish them. :o)

Anonymous said...

So, your really faithful readers will get the chance to see these napkins, up close and personal and in action, riiight?

:)



BD

Bridget said...

Wow. Gifts don't get much better than that!

Theresa said...

And here I thought I was the Queen of Regifting . . . So glad you like them, and I think Patricia would approve.

betsy said...

Wow.... do you have anymore of these fabrics? I would love to get my hands on them...
Betsy