Tuesday, January 4, 2011

So I'm Four Days Late...

HAPPY NEW YEAR, Y'ALL!!



I had a good year in 2010 and I'm expecting no less in 2011.

I finished reading my 60th book of the year on Christmas Eve, and then I took a break from reading. My reading got ahead of my book reviewing, but I'll try to do better this year.

I've gotten a couple of new followers to my blog, thanks to the interview in the local paper, and several people have told me they plan to keep track of the books they read from now on. That's rewarding, to know that someone thinks you had a good idea.

This post is not really meant to be a list of my accomplishments. I just wanted to wish everybody a Happy New Year.

We went to a Winter Solstice party. One of our friends throws this party every year so that she can have a December party and still spend Christmas with her family. Everybody is asked to bring a gag gift and some food and we have an exchange of gifts after stuffing our faces. (We know some really good cooks.) Some of the gifts are hilarious and some are not so "unwantable." Richard and I wound up with a Grinch Christmas tree ornament, which is actually kinda cute. One person didn't like what she got and kept trying to trade with someone -- anyone -- but we all stood firm. (One year, another friend didn't need what she got -- it was a set of napkin rings -- so she hid the rings around our hostess's house. Julie was finding napkin rings all year long.)

Christmas Day with Richard's family was enjoyable, as always. I think everybody gave me at least one book, so my reading list grows. We had a ham in addition to the turkey. I love ham. For dessert, Richard and I made a pumpkin pie and an apple pie. Even my brother-in-law, who doesn't have a sweet tooth, ate some of the apple pie. Our nieces were not able to stay for dinner, but Katie left her two yappy dogs at my sister-in-law's house. Without my hyperactive niece, the dogs were quite calm and affectionate. One of them, Courage, curled up on the sofa next to me and stayed there for a long time. When we were opening presents, she got into my lap and I had to open my gifts around her. It was sweet. Snow was predicted for that area, so Richard and I left a little earlier than usual. At one point during the day, there was a snow flurry, and then it rained. Beverly (SIL) called later and told us that after we left, it started to snow in earnest, so we missed seeing a white Christmas. Oh, well. It was still nice.

On New Year's Eve we went to a party here in town. There was plenty of champagne and our hostess offered orange juice and pomegranate juice to mix with it, if you were so inclined. Champagne mixed with orange juice is a Mimosa, and Renata and I decided that champagne mixed with pomegranate juice is an Ambrosia. We kept telling ourselves that the mixtures were good for us because of all the antioxidants and vitamins we were getting. There is nothing like a good rationalization.

Well, I hope your new year is starting off right and that the rest of the year is as good to you as you could wish. Happy 2011!

2 comments:

TheUnSoccerMom said...

I've already finished one book and have started on another. I will be keeping up this year! :o) But I'm totally not expecting to read as many as you. But that is O.K!

My friend, Jenn (she also used to work @ the college) read almost as many books as you did in 2010 and she made a collage of the book titles using this site: http://www.wordle.net/create

She entered in all the titles of the books in the form provided, hit "enter" and voila!

Sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas and a great start to your New Year!

Happy New Year!!

Bridget said...

Happy New Year to you too!

I just signed up for this reading challenge:

http://booksonthenightstand.com/2010/12/reading-challenge-11-in-11.html#disqus_thread

I like it 'cause it is a challenge, but is open-ended.

We'll see how it goes ...