Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Ten Things...

I've been inspired by Bridget to write a list of Ten Things That I Am Afraid Of. She has some pretty creepy things on her list. We will have some overlap.

1. Getting stuck on a railroad track. When I was in high school, I was on a date with my then-current boyfriend. He was driving me back home and we were about to cross the railroad tracks in my hometown. I was yakking away about something, not paying much attention, when he stopped on the tracks and looked to the right. I turned to see what he was looking at, and had the bejeezus scared out of me when I saw the train, with its headlight on, not fifty feet away. The train was stopped, but that is beside the point. We're talking upwards of 200 tons of steel and a braking distance of far more than fifty feet. Ever since that night...

2. Aquatic creatures with teeth or stingers. As I've said before, I'm a great audience; I readily suspend my disbelief. I went to see Jaws when it first came out and that first scene when the shark attacks the girl swimming at night really gave me nightmares. I've seen snippets of Jaws since then, and I see just how fake the shark looks, but still, ankle deep is about as far as I go into the ocean.

3. Clowns. I'm with Bridget on this one. When I see a clown, I think "serial murderer of children." Creepy.

4. Snakes. Another one I have in common with Bridget. I don't think snakes are creepy, but I do try to avoid them. We had one in our garage one day so I couldn't get to my car. I still think about that snake sometimes when I go to the garage. Richard said it was harmless, but a snake is a snake.

5. Walking/standing on a surface I can see through. I'm not afraid of heights, as long as I'm standing on a solid, opaque surface, but I could not walk on a glass floor. I don't even like walking across grates in the sidewalk. I can be on tall structures and look out over railings and enjoy the view, as long as that floor is solid. You'll never catch me on that new Skywalk at the Grand Canyon.

6. Big spiders. Little spiders don't bother me much, but big ones, especially black ones with red hourglasses on their stomachs, creep me out. I am really afraid of them. I don't care for those large ones with furry legs, either.

7. Scary movies. When I was a child, my father worked in our town's movie theater. Sometimes he would take my sister and me to work with him. This particular theater ran a lot of those low-budget horror flicks, and I was a very impressionable little kid. I usually didn't sit in the theater when one of those movies was playing, but the lobby and auditorium were separated by only a curtain, so I could hear everything that went on, and sometimes my curiosity got the better of me and I would go look. Big mistake, because then I would have nightmares that night. I swore off scary movies at an early age. I have seen a few in my adult life, though, like the version of Dracula starring Frank Langella. That was a pretty classy movie, but I wouldn't watch it again.

8. I agree with Bridget on the Tea Party movement. Lord have mercy! Those people are scary.

9. Car trouble. I had a car one time that liked to eat alternators. I think it went through three of them while I owned it. I always feel so helpless when something goes wrong with my car. AAA and my cell phone are my friends, but I still have a feeling of panic.

10. Political attack ads. Both sides lie, or at least twist the truth, and it's not good for the country. Campaigns should be run on the issues and a candidate who has no useful ideas for improving things should not win elections. Politics is just a power struggle, and few of our politicians actually care about the people. We should have term limits so that we don't have career politicians lining their pockets with special interest money, and special interests should be banned from funding those attack ads. I could go on...

Well, that sort of turned into a rant, didn't it?

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Someday I'll write a post about my "Jaws" experience ...

Theresa said...

I liked your rant, and I get sick to my stomach thinking of car trouble. All those years with no money and no man, and the occasional rotten car - enough to send me to therapy for years.