Thursday, September 16, 2010

Reading Goal and Other Random Stuff


Quite a few years ago I decided I wanted to read an average of one book per week for an entire year. I never did reach that goal. BUT... this year I have it in the crosshairs. Here it is the middle of September and I've already read 44 books. I have about 19 weeks left to read the other eight. I think I'm gonna make it.

One year, I was feeling quite stressed and I read a lot of books as an escape. I read Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels like they were going out of style, but I still didn't make it to 52 books.

I'm working on book #45, Faking It by Jennifer Crusie. Crusie has become one of my new favorite authors (thanks to Lene) and I find myself adding more and more of her books to my wish list.

On a different subject: yesterday at work, I had a patron who was your basic know-it-all idiot. I wanted to vault across the desk and throttle him until his eyeballs rolled back into his head. I didn't. But I did tell my friend Theresa about it (we were chatting via e-mail) and she wrote "death to all who don't think you know what you're talking about." It was gratifying and soothed my ruffled feathers.

Speaking of Theresa, she no longer works at the library of Small Public Institution. She is now employed at the Georgia Museum of Agriculture and Historic Village. This facility is like a theme park, but is not gaudy like one. Several farmhouses have been moved to GMA and you can see how people lived in the 19th century. They have cows and goats and other animals, a turpentine still, a small steam train, a church, and a store, among other farm-related things. They grind corn and you can get some stone-ground grits. It's a very interesting place. Theresa is run ragged, but she loves the job and is never bored.

This has been one of the hottest summers I have ever experienced. If you pay attention to national weather reports, you know that the South was not the only area affected. It has consistently been in the high 90s most of the season. We're finally getting some relief. Temps are down to 90, but it feels good. I got really tired of last winter's cold weather (very unusual for me) and was looking forward to summer. This turned out to be one of those "be careful what you wish for" situations. I'm glad it's September.

On a sad note, we lost another kitty. Bennis got sick and the vet could not figure out what was wrong with her so we did the humane thing. This happened a couple of months ago, but I was too distressed to write about it earlier. But I'm thankful we still have Lila, Dashiell, and Bagheera. We have Bennis's ashes in a little urn, sitting right next to Fido's ashes. I wish we had been able to have our dog, Brandy, cremated too, but she's buried in the woods behind our old house in Athens. I'd like to retire to Athens, and I think it might be nice to move back into that house.

Do you realize it is only 100 days until Christmas?

2 comments:

Bridget said...

This was a sucky summer in so many ways. At least you should know that Bennis has lots of friends in heaven ...

Lene Andersen said...

Oh, no! so sorry to hear about the kitty. Having so recently lost one myself, reading about yours made me cry. It's heartbreaking.

I'm so glad you like Crusie! She's awesome - you should try one of her audio book. It depends on the narrator, but Faking It and Fast Women are both read by excellent narrators. I recently tried one of her collaborations with a male author - I forget his name, but it became a love story/thriller - and I wouldn't recommend it. She's done several of them and I've only read the one, but it wasn't a good mix (of course, the narrator wasn't very good, either, and that can make a huge difference. Which was sad, because I'm pretty sure I would read her grocery list and enjoy it....