Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Giving In

I have been resisting buying a Kindle, but because of all the books I have cluttering up the house, I may have to go that route. I'm going to try selling my books online. Not all of them, of course, but most of them. Maybe then I can afford the Kindle.

I have many first-edition mysteries, all with the book jackets intact and all in like-new condition. I love the feel and smell of a brand new hardback book. I like turning pages. I like looking at the place where my bookmark is to see how long it will be before I find out whodunit or whether or not the lovers unite (not meant as a double entendre, Theresa). I love settling down in my chair with a cat and a book.

But, Lordy, I have a lot of books!

This is one of two bookcases in the house that Richard did not build. It has space for a few more books, but not many, as you can see.

This is the bookcase in the breakfast nook, with most of our cookbooks on it.


The wall of bookshelves that Richard built.


The bookcase with all my writing books in it.


Bookcase #1 in the bedroom.


Bookcases #2 and #3 in the bedroom.

All these bookcases that Richard built are about seven feet tall, except for the wall of shelves which goes all the way to the ceiling.


This is the bookcase in the guest bedroom, which my grandfather built.

Do I have a lot of books or what??? So you can see why it's time to give in and get a Kindle and pass on most of my hard-copy books.

5 comments:

Lene Andersen said...

I'd be very comfortable in your house. There's something so right about walls lined with books.

Besides, it's insulation.

Theresa said...

Okay, good idea. I thought the Kindle was useless until I read your post. And not to be cold, but honey, when you die all those books will get donated to Goodwill. I can see my sewing machine and spinning wheel going for $5 each when I'm gone . . .

Bridget said...

Wow what a great amount of books! Your mystery collection sounds very neat.

I don't know that I'll ever get a Kindle or a Nook to replace books. I could see the advantage if you did a lot of traveling, since it would be lighter to pack.

James said...

Before you go selling your books to buy a Kindle, take a little time looking around an see exactly which books you can find in a digital format. You may be surprised to find out that the books you are wanting to replace are not available, then again maybe you will find that they are. Also the Kindle is not the only e-reader out there and if you want to check books out from the library on your e-reader the Kindle is not the one for you. Do a little research before you sell your precious books. :-)

Anonymous said...

Take a deep breath and repeat after me: There is no such thing as too many books. There is no such thing as too many books. No such thing.
A kindle for travel is a good idea, but nothing beats the weight of a book in your hands when you're in the hammock or recliner, or the smell of slightly musty pages of a classic.

BD