Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kudzu


This is kudzu, covering up everything. It was imported from Japan in the early 20th century to prevent soil erosion in the American South. If left alone, it will cover anything in its path: trees, power lines, houses, vehicles. It's nutritious forage for cattle, but if the cow lingers too long over its dinner it may find itself covered by kudzu. I read somewhere that the vine grows about one foot per day. No wonder they call it "the vine that ate the South."

I'm sure some Southern mystery writer has hidden at least one body in a patch of kudzu. It seems like such a perfect place.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

Sounds like the first sentence of your next book. Or mine.

Lene Andersen said...

Kudzu blows my mind. Every time I see a photo of what it can do, I boggle.

p.s. like the cow comment. ;)

Bridget said...

Hm. I can think of some people that I wouldn't mind hiding in some kudzu ...

;-)

James said...

I found an interesting little faq sheet about Kudzu at http://www.kudzuworld.com/faqs/kudzu/index.en.aspx that you might enjoy.

Anonymous said...

There used to be kudzu t-shirts in the gift shop at the GA Center, that had a scrap of kudzu vine in a little plastic envelope attached to it.

Instructions for planting: Throw at ground. Run Away.

BD