Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Miscellaneous

I finished my Knitting Olympics project, wimpy as it was. As slow as I knit, I figured that any project I finished by a deadline was an accomplishment. The Yarn Harlot made the most beautiful sweater for her project. It would have taken me years to finish something like that. I'd love to see pictures of all the Olympic knitters' projects. I'll bet they're all wonderful. I made my Mistake Rib scarf for my friend Theresa (of Knitting Non-Pareil), my enabler when it comes to knitting. She's an inspiration, too. She knits fast and beautifully. Here's a picture of the scarf.



This picture doesn't show the true color. It's called Blackberry Heather and it's really darker than it looks in the picture. I made this from some Brunswick yarn that I bought years ago. It's 55% Orlon and 45% wool. (I don't think Brunswick is in business any more; don't know why.) I enjoyed making the scarf, especially as I had the TV on the Olympics in HD (WOW!).

In other news, we celebrated Richard's birthday recently. For the past couple of years he has been cooking his own birthday dinner, trying out new recipes. This year we had lobster bisque, a spicy shrimp concoction wrapped in phyllo, sour cream poppy seed cake, and ice cream. I made the cake. Richard even made the ice cream. Everything was especially good.

Richard mentioned that I haven't written anything about my reading lately, so here goes. Since the first of the year I have read The Black Dove by Steve Hockensmith, Shem Creek by Dorothea Benton Frank, and Knit Lit edited by Linda Roghaar and Molly Wolf.

The Black Dove is the third in Hockensmith's Holmes on the Range series. This one takes place mostly in San Francisco's Chinatown. It has its funny moments, but it deals with the very serious subjects of racism, prostitution, and gangsters. Big Red and Old Red Amlingmeyer are wonderful as usual and Hockensmith knows how to tell a good story. Several characters from the previous book (On the Wrong Track) appear in The Black Dove.

Shem Creek, the novel, takes place in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina. Shem Creek, the creek, runs through Mount Pleasant. That's the place where many shrimp boats dock, and there are seafood restaurants lining the banks. The novel is a pleasant, easy-to-read story that involves a quest for a new life, coming of age for a teenager, a love story, and some conflict and a near tragedy. Dorothea Benton Frank sets her stories in the South Carolina Low-country. I think I may read some more of them.

Knit Lit is an anthology of stories (non-fiction) related to knitting (you probably figured that out already, didn't you?). Each section in the book has a theme, covering a wide range of topics. For the most part they're all well-written and eloquent. I have a few favorites, particularly the story about "Mom, Molly, and Me" and another written by a "Seafaring Knitter."

Currently I'm reading The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin. I'm finding it fascinating, mostly because quite a few of the suggestions she makes for making yourself happier are things that I already do. We all have room for improvement, though. Just reading the book makes me happier. Rubin also has a website which you might want to check out.

That's all for now. I mostly just wanted to brag on my knitting.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

I think your finished scarf is truly lovely, and I can imagine the real color from your description. I wouldn't feel bad that you didn't do something really major - a lot of knitters have more knitting time and YEARS more experience. I love knitting, but I also love reading, gardening, etc. So I never knit as much or as fast as anyone else ...

I'm gonna have to look into the books you mentioned. And what a nice surprise - I'm glad you like my story!

Theresa said...

I LOVE my scarf!! I'm just glad you didn't make any mistakes on it because of the new and improved TV situation. And thanks for the cake - it was fantastic!