Thursday, February 4, 2010

Things That Cheer Me Up


1. Flowers, especially those given to me as a gift, like these roses that my niece gave me for my birthday last year. They were just rosebuds when I got them, and they blossomed nicely, didn't they?

2. Ice cream on a hot summer night. Richard and I don't buy ice cream very often but when we do we get the good stuff with a high butterfat content. Yum! Love me some butter pecan!

3. Chocolate. I don't consider it candy if it doesn't have chocolate in it or on it. The comedian Gallagher said that chocolate goes straight to a place in your brain right next to sex. I believe it. My favorite candy bar is a Snickers. Unfortunately, I think, the vending machine just down the hall has them. I try to be good and not have eight or ten in a day.

4. A good, fun romantic comedy. One of my favorites is Must Love Dogs, with Diane Lane and John Cusack. Another one I like is The American President, with Annette Bening and Michael Douglas.

5. A good murder mystery. When I was in library school I took a young adult literature class. One of the books we were assigned was The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. I read the entire book in one day, and it was so-o-o depressing I had to read three murder mysteries to cheer myself up. The thing I like about mysteries is that the bad guy almost always gets his just desserts in the end. Very satisfying.

6. Something witty popping out of Richard's mouth. He's got a quick mind and a good sense of humor and he makes me laugh frequently. Laughing is healthy.

7. Knitting. I get settled in the recliner just the right way that is so comfortable for knitting and I go to town. Sometime Lila (the cat) jumps up on the footrest and settles in between my ankles. The cats used to love to play with my needles when I was knitting, but they're getting older now and less playful. At least now I can knit in peace.

8. Christmas. I look forward to Christmas every year, mostly because it involves getting together with family. I love the decorations, especially those where people have gone a little nuts with the lights on their houses and in their yards.

9. A fire in the fireplace. We have a gas fireplace now, but in our last house we had a big wood-burning fireplace. Richard would build a big fire and warm us up good. Even our gas fireplace warms us nicely on a chilly night. The cats love it. They flake out in front of the fire and enjoy the warmth.

10. Hot soup. Richard and I save our soup-making for cold weather. It really hits the spot when the weather is cool. Some of our favorites are clam chowder (I have a really good recipe), macaroni and tomato soup, chili soup (this is one of my grandmother's recipes), and a recent discovery: smoked sausage, tomato and mushroom soup.

11. Hurtin' songs. Hurtin' songs are country songs the subject of which is unrequited love. I don't know why they cheer me up, but they do. You'd think they'd depress me. I guess I'm just weird. One of my favorites is called "Sorrowful Angels" from Patty Loveless's Mountain Soul CD. My favorite line is: "and when her heart was broke and bleeding, sorrowful angels wept into their wings."

I guess eleven cheering things are enough. Just to send you off happy, here's another flower picture. This is a purple leaf smoke tree. You can see where it gets its name.


Cheers to all of you!

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Your list is not that different from what mine would be, if I took the time to make one ...

Like you, I think murder mysteries are satisfying, since the murderer nearly always gets caught!

Phyl said...

Marie, I think I'm going to put you first on my list of "things that cheer me up"!!!!! In fact, I can "hear" your voice when reading all the crazy & interesting people, places, & things you write about....thanks for the smile....your girlfriend, Phyllis