Tuesday, February 16, 2010

No Pictures... Wa-a-ahh!

I was going to post some pictures of the SNOW IN SOUTH GEORGIA, but my camera decided to mess up, so I'll just tell you about it. I'll post the pictures when I figure out what's wrong with my camera.

All day this past Friday, the main topic of conversation, no matter who you talked to, was the possibility of snow. And all day I kept saying, "I'll believe it when I see it." Small Public Institution closes at 3:00 pm on Fridays, so I went home and took a nap. About 5:15 pm I opened my eyes and realized there was white stuff on the trees outside. I jumped up and went to the room where Richard was and told him to get outside and take pictures. I put on some shoes and my jacket and took my own camera outdoors. The first thing I noticed when I got out there was the clean, fresh smell of snow, something I hadn't experienced since we left Athens. I took several pictures from the porches of the house (it was cold and I wanted to get back indoors to the fire). Richard got out in the road and took the prettiest picture of the house with the snow coming down. Our house is blue with white trim, so the picture was all blue and white. Lovely.

Richard and I have decided to enter the twenty-first century: We bought a large, flat-screen TV. We replaced a 24-year-old, 21-inch, Montgomery Ward color TV and a VCR that we were using as our cable box. We got it on Sunday and Richard set it up that afternoon. It took me about a minute and a half to get used to it. WOW, is it wonderful. I can read all the text on the news channels and the weather channel. I was beginning to think I needed new glasses, but I guess what I really needed was a TV I can see. The Olympics look great on a large-screen TV and I can't wait for baseball season to start.

Speaking of the Olympics, I entered the Knitting Olympics. (See the Yarn Harlot's website.) The idea is to cast on after the Olympic Flame is lit, knit something challenging, and to finish by the closing ceremony on the 28th. Since I'm not the world's greatest or fastest knitter, I chose to knit a Mistake-Rib scarf. I only get to knit at night and on weekends, and since I work longs days, my biggest challenge is not to fall asleep at night while I'm knitting. Maybe when I have more experience I can do something more challenging. I admire those people who can knit a whole sweater in 17 days. I'm "watching" the Olympics while I'm knitting, and occasionally I get distracted by what's happening on the TV, so I have to pause the knitting and watch. I'm one of those knitters who has to keep both eyes on the knitting if I don't want to screw up.

Richard and I had a date the other night. We went to Albany (about 45 minutes west of here) to the Outback Steakhouse to have an anniversary-dinner do-over (I was sick on our anniversary, and even though we went out, I did not enjoy it much), and to celebrate Valentine's Day. We thought we would go early to avoid the crowds, but half of Albany had the same idea. We had to cruise the parking lot for about five minutes until we spotted a car backing out of a space. It was standing room only when we got inside, so we took our beeper and sat at the bar, perused the menu, and had a drink. We finally got a table and the rest of the evening went pretty smoothly. We opted not to have a Bloomin' Onion, reserving our appetites for dessert instead. The salads came and I changed my mind about the type of dressing I wanted, but the waiter was gracious and got me some blue cheese. The entrees were cooked to order and tasty, and our desserts of cheesecake, mine with chocolate sauce and Richard's with raspberry, were very good. After we finished at the restaurant, we went across the road to the mall and visited a real bookstore (something we don't have in Tifton). I bought two books, The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, and Devil's Brood by Sharon Kay Penman. Devil's Brood is a historical novel about Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine. It's 740+ pages long and has some of the tiniest type I've ever seen in a novel. Reading it will be a challenge for my myopia but I'm sure I'll get used to it after I've been reading for a little while.

I'll have pictures as soon as I diagnose my camera's problem. Everybody take care.

No comments: