Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Pictures ...That I Took!

I got a request to post finished object pictures and cat pictures, so here goes.


This is my Berroco 100% merino scarf. I enjoyed making this. Real wool is so soft, especially this merino. I'm glad I have finally graduated from knitting with acrylic. Don't get me wrong, acrylic has its place, especially if you want something that is wash and wear. Most of my scarves are acrylic and they come out of the washer and dryer feeling soft and looking pretty. But, things change. It's past time to put on my big girl panties and knit like a woman! Roar!



This is my sock-yarn scarf. I forget the brand name, but it's superwash wool and nylon. Aren't the colors gorgeous? I made this with one ball of yarn, so it's not very long, but it's lightweight and I can wear it indoors when the heat's not cranking like it should.



Here's a closeup of the colors. The scarf is very simple. I knitted about an inch of two-by-two ribbing and then switched to garter stitch; at the end I put another inch of ribbing. Because it's sock yarn it took a little longer to knit but I really enjoyed it. (Now I just have to use some of my sock-yarn stash to make some actual socks.)



Here's Dashiell (a.k.a. Bubba) settled on the sofa. I showed this picture to Theresa and she said, "So that's the cat I never get to see." Dashiell is a little on the shy side, to put it mildly. When anyone besides Richard or I come in the house, he runs and hides -- and stays hidden until the axe-wielding-serial-cat-killer-stranger leaves. The silly cat doesn't realize he could get so much more petting, which he loves, if he'd just come out of his hidey-hole.



This is Lila. I know she looks like Basement Cat in this photo, but she's really very sweet. She likes to sleep between Richard and me at night.



And Bennis looks like Ceiling Cat, but she really isn't. The new kid in town, Bagheera, wants to play with Bennis, but Bennis sees it as aggression and reacts accordingly. Too bad. Bennis is kind of a loner.



Here's Bagheera on her cat condo. I still haven't gotten a very good picture of her and she's so pretty. Maybe when the weather is nice and we let the cats out onto the screened porch I can get one in daylight and won't need the flash.

Back to the knitting: I'm currently working on another scarf (it's what I do, I guess), this one of wool and silk. It's from Manos del Uruguay in shades of burgundy and rose (mostly burgundy). This one is even softer than the merino scarf.

Happy knitting. Pet your cats for me.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

ha ha ha!! good thing I tinkled BEFORE reading this post!1

Bridget said...

Those are beautiful scarves! Love the colors, and they look nice and cozy.

And of course, I love the kitty cat pics - we have a cat who hides when anyone other than me or Tim is around. And like yours, GK thinks everyone is out to get him ...

Anonymous said...

I can't decide which is more gorgeous, the kitties or the knitties!! har har har

Nice work, sweet furkins.



BD

James said...

I really like the scarves. They are beautiful; I always did think you had good taste. I discovered that if I clicked on the picture I got a really good look at them.

You may be envious of other peoples knitting skills, but I can tell you that I am envious of yours. I have tried it and... I suck at it. I get frustrated trying to keep things even; you know, loose here tight there makes it look horrible. I will give it another try at some point, maybe, just not right now. It's hard to learn on your own.

Oh, the cats are cute too. ;-)