Tuesday, September 1, 2009

50th Post

This is my 50th blog post. I didn't know I had that much to say. Some people reading my blog may still be unconvinced. But I don't care; I'm having fun.

On Facebook, I ran across some prompts for five things to list. I copied down some of them (the rest didn't interest me), and I will do an occasional list. Today's list is "5 things I don't eat":

1. Chitlins, or more correctly, chitterlings. Who in their right mind would eat fried pig intestines? My favorite cuisine is fried food, but I have to draw the line somewhere. In Salley, SC, they hold the annual Chitlin Strut, where they celebrate (!) chitlins. My parents went one year. My mother nearly gagged on the smell, but Daddy stood in a very long line to sample the disgusting things. I think Daddy, being a Child of the South, just had to say that he had tried them. I shudder at the thought.

2. Collard greens. I have never taken to large, leafy greens. I don't know why, as they usually include grease and salt in the cooking. My mother used to try to get me to eat spinach and turnip greens (not at the same time) , but they usually came from a can and were downright disgusting. I don't remember ever having collard greens at any family gathering when I was growing up, but my in-laws love them. They serve them frequently.

3. Prairie oysters. Buffalo testicles. Need I say more?

4. Licorice. I don't like licorice or anything resembling that flavor, like root beer, fennel, anise, tarragon. I don't even like to be near anybody who is eating licorice. The smell on their breath offends me.

5. Goat eyeballs. I read somewhere that goat eyeballs were a delicacy in some Middle Eastern countries, and if you were offered them, you ran the risk of insulting your host if you declined. I think that's a bunch of horse manure. If a foreigner came to my house I would not insist he eat anything he found objectionable, and I would not be insulted.

6. Boiled peanuts. (OK, so I have six things.) Most Southerners love these things, but I find them slimy and flavorless, even though they are cooked with a lot of salt. Even some non-Southerners have acquired a taste for boiled peanuts.

I'd rather have Cheetos.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

I'm right with you on everything except the licorice (but I promise not to stand near you when I have some ...)!

Congrats on 50 posts - it is fun, isn't it??

James said...

I whole heartily agree with you on the chitlins decision.
Greens are better raw in a salad, but they are good cooked and doused with vinegar too; especially a spiced vinegar.
I'll agree that licorice is an acquired taste, but root beer... come on.
I was kind of surprised to discover that a true southern girl like you doesn't like hot salty mushy boiled peanuts. They are great; that's why even some "damn" yankees like them, the ones with more refined pallets anyway.
Oh well, nobody's perfect. ;-)