Monday, August 17, 2009

The Reading Frenzy Continues...

Well, after I finished NOT reading The First Patient, I picked up Irish Tiger by Andrew M. Greeley. I had never read one of Father Greeley's books before, so I thought I'd give it a shot. It turned out to be quite good. Parts of it are a little far-fetched, but if you just go along with it, you'll like it. Irish Tiger is one of Greeley's Nuala Anne McGrail novels. Nuala Anne is known for being able to solve problems and the couple with the problem comes to her. The couple's biggest problem seems to be his grown daughters, who have taken a serious dislike to her, even before they met her. In a mystery, you know that can't be the extent of it. Before the story ends, we have the mob, terrorists, relatives, and various "colleagues" of both members of the couple involved. Parts of the novel are funny, parts are serious, and overall it was a good read.

My next reading adventure was Death's Half Acre by Margaret Maron. Maron is one of my all-time favorite mystery authors. The main character is Judge Deborah Knott. This story has an arrogant preacher, Deborah's former-bootlegger-father Kezzie, a woman from a disadvantaged background who made good but is still insecure, and various others. The woman from the disadvantaged background is chair of the county Board of Commissioners and tends to blackmail people to get them to vote her way on county business. This woman is also our murder victim. The solution to the murder hinges on one very-hard-to-find flash drive. The story is very exciting, the murderer was a surprise (to me) but it was logical, and Deborah's father Kezzie also solved a county problem. I enjoyed it tremendously.

I can't say enough good things about Last Light Over Carolina by Mary Alice Monroe. It's a mainstream novel and it is an excellent story, beautifully told. Wow! Wow! WOW!! Bud Morrison, a shrimper, and his wife Carolina, a schoolteacher, have been married for over 30 years. As expected, things have cooled a bit for them. Both of them need to be forgiven for things they did. The story takes place on September 21, 2008, the 19th anniversary of Hurricane Hugo. Bud goes out as usual on his shrimp boat, except his crew, Pee Dee, oversleeps, so Bud goes out alone. Throughout the novel, Bud and Carolina's story is told via flashbacks. Early in the book Bud gets his hand caught in the winch and can't call for help. A storm comes up and Carolina and the people of McClellanville, SC, start to get concerned, so an all-out search for Bud is begun. The story is beautiful; the end is exciting, but also touching. I found myself tearing up more than once. Please read this book. It's wonderful.

I am currently engrossed in T is for Trespass by Sue Grafton. I've always enjoyed the Kinsey Millhone books and this one is shaping up to be just as good as previous ones in the series.

I hope this reading frenzy continues for a while. I'm enjoying it.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

Another couple that I'm not familiar with, and now want to read! Thanks for the reviews.

Theresa said...

and here I was thinking that the Carolina book was too light of a read, even for me. That goes to show how much I know!! Hey, my verification word is somized. Too close to another word I know and don't like!! ha!