Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Ten on Tuesday

This week's Ten on Tuesday is 10 Things That Turn You Off About People. Let's see how many I can come up with.

1. Bad breath. I know some people can't help it, but there are antacids and breath mints. Toothpaste is always good, too.

2. In the same vein: Body odor. Pleeeze, take a bath; use some deodorant; but, for God's sake don't try to cover it up with perfume.

3. Lying. Don't lie to my face and then later deny it. Besides, if you tell the truth, then you don't have to remember which lie was told to whom.

4. Arrogance. Just because you have a PhD in rocket science doesn't mean you are a better person than I am.

5. Regional snobbery. Don't come to my home state and tell me how backwards I am and how everybody is so much smarter where you come from. Do unto others... (I once had a guy from Indiana "pay me a compliment" by saying he was surprised to find a Southern girl with brains. I should have kicked him in the nuts.)

6. Don't talk down to me. If I don't understand what you're saying, believe me, I'll ask.

7. Poor fashion sense. I'm not the most fashion savvy person in the world, but if you're middle-aged or older and even a little saggy and wrinkled, don't wear halter tops and short-shorts. And I especially don't want to see your bare midriff. (Oh, yeah, if you need a bikini wax, don't wear a bikini.) If you're a man, for heaven's sake, don't wear Speedos.

8. People who won't let you get a word in. Hey! I have something to say, too!

9. RSVP. People who do not, when specifically asked to, are annoying.

10. Disrespecting your elders. People who have been on the earth a long time deserve our respect, if for no other reason than that they have experience you don't. (I'm using the term "been on earth a long time" loosely.)

Well, there. I did it. This is kind of a negative subject, but I tried to rant humorously.

3 comments:

Theresa said...

As for #8, sometimes you just gotta jump in, etiquette be damned.

Bridget said...

Oh yeah, especially #5 and #7!

phyl said...

Marie, I don't think you were being negative, but you were humorous ...which I love. Everything you said, to me, is "right-on"! Those "10", unfortunately, are so common....I guess they have always been, & probably, will always be.