Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Food, Glorious Food

This is not really all about food. We did more than just eat this past weekend.

On Saturday, we went to Albany, GA, to the Flint RiverQuarium. It's a nice little aquarium (compared, say, to the Monterey Bay Aquarium), with mostly freshwater species. There was a display on mariculture, so they got in some saltwater info as well. In one of the mariculture tanks, they had a couple of baby octopi. The smaller one's head was only about an inch long and its little tentacles were about two inches long. It was the cutest little thing. They also had little baby shrimp in that tank.

Another feature of the RiverQuarium is an aviary. You can go in and hang out with a great egret, a yellow-crowned night heron, a snowy egret, a cormorant, several white ibis, a variety of ducks, a pileated woodpecker, and others. Idiot that I am, I forgot to take along my camera; otherwise I would have had pictures of the birds. It was very cool being that close to those birds.

OK, here comes the food. On Saturday night, Richard and I cooked dinner for his parents and his sister. Richard made a prosciutto-wrapped shrimp appetizer with a peachy glaze.

This is it before baking. It disappeared too quickly afterwards to get a picture.


The dinner table, before the feeding frenzy.


We had a salad. I don't know why I didn't remove the salad servers before I took the picture. Richard used grape tomatoes from his garden in the salad.


The main dish was shrimp and tortellini. Everybody liked it, but then what's not to like? It's shrimp and pasta with butter and shallots.


Of course, we had to have some rolls. These are eggy yeast rolls we get at our grocery store's bakery.


And to finish it off, we had apple pie and ice cream.

It was a good weekend.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Gee, thanks Marie. I just gained 4 pounds, and I didn't even eat anything.
I LOVE the salad forks, handlers, whatever they are! and the pie looks great - looked great. How did it taste?

Anonymous said...

Everytime you post about one of these fetes, I want to pester you for the recipe.
I love your long skinny bread basket!!



BD