Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dashiell

Dashiell is home from the vet hospital. He's easily slipped back into his life at home, hollering for his dinner at 6:00 pm sharp, sleeping in his favorite spots, waking Richard up in the morning when I'm in the shower. We have to give him three different pills, all on different schedules. He doesn't like pills, but we give him some Greenies afterwards, so he takes his pills, although it's still a little traumatic for him (and me -- I'm the one who gets to stuff them down his throat). While he was at the vet's they had a sign on his cage telling the staff that "he's very sweet, but he hisses because he's afraid." Dr. King said he was a little "love bug," and the rest of the staff just loved him. How could they not?

Dashiell and Lila are almost thirteen years old. When we were living in Athens, GA, Richard and I found out our vet had some kittens to give away. I think we saw them one day when we took our dog in for something. (Brandy, a Golden Retriever, is now in doggie heaven.) The next day, Richard called me at work and said we should get two of the kittens and that I should go when I got off and take care of it. Richard wanted a female and I wanted one of the orange tabbies. I called the vet and asked them to keep all the kittens until I could get there. When I arrived, I had the formidable task of deciding which orange tabby to get (there was only one female and she was/is black). I could have taken all four of the kittens home and thought nothing of it. I bought a cat carrier and before we got home, I had them named. Dashiell is named for Dashiell Hammett, one of my favorite mystery writers; and Lila is named for the title character in a Peter S. Beagle short story, "Lila the Werewolf." (In the story, a man slowly comes to realize that his girlfriend is a werewolf.) The cats have not followed in their namesakes' footsteps, but that's all right; they've been good cats.

Richard has to take Dashiell back to the vet on Friday, and we hope she gives us good news. He seems to be doing fine, eating well and not throwing up. I'll keep you posted.

4 comments:

Bridget said...

What sweet kitties! I'm so glad that Dashiell is doing better. We used to have to give our Molly thyroid medicine every day. She eventually resigned herself to it, but she still wasn't very happy about it ...

Give them both a pat from me.

Genie said...

You were involved in some extraordinary nursing of an infirm pet (doggie w/diabetes?) when I first met you & Richard. Dashiell couldn't be in better hands.

Anonymous said...

*hugs* for Dashiell



BD

Theresa said...

I want some baby kitties! Now! Just kidding. John would kill me.