Thursday, April 30, 2009

Magnolias On The Courthouse Square

This is the stately courthouse on the square in downtown Moultrie, Georgia. I enjoy this view from my library window every Tuesday and Thursday.

Moultrie is the seat of Colquitt County in southwest Georgia. It was founded in 1879 (the same year my Grandpa was born), and I believe the current courthouse was built in 1902. Lots of activities are held on the square. There is a small amphitheater on the grounds where they have concerts and such. One week there was a marathon preaching event going on. Mostly it was a succession of people reading from the Bible. They have spring festivals, crafts shows, yard sales, etc. Today, they're having a Rock-a-Thon to collect donations for veterans. I took some pictures, but of course I don't have my camera cable with me today.

The square also has a huge magnolia tree, which is blooming right now. I haven't been able to get a satisfactory picture of the whole tree, but here is one of the blossoms.

The magnolia tree has limbs which touch the ground, otherwise I would not have been able to get a picture of the flower.

Another feature of the square is the collection of crape myrtles. (Yes, I spelled that right. Look it up.) There seem to be two schools of thought regarding the pruning of crape myrtles. One is that pruning is unnecessary (Richard adheres to this school). The other school condones this:

Complete decapitation. Coworker Keisha and I were both horrified when the gardeners did this early this year. However, they are growing leaves now. This is much better:

Before too long they will be all leafy and blooming.

I'm reading another book: Roseanna by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo. This is another of the Martin Beck series, which is set in Sweden, mainly in Stockholm. Actually, this is the first of the Martin Beck series. I've read The Laughing Policeman by the same authors. Martin Beck is a bleak character. He's depressed and unhappy in his marriage, but he's tenacious when trying to solve a murder. The victim in this novel is an American tourist from Lincoln, Nebraska (a nymphomaniac librarian, of all things). She's dredged up from a canal, and so far they are going on the assumption that she was killed and tossed off a tour boat. They have to search all over Europe and America to contact all the other passengers and crew from the boat. As in any good mystery, they're hitting roadblocks at every turn, so we'll just have to wait and see how it all turns out.

I'll leave you with this nice photo of an Australian rain forest. This is another of Richard's pictures from his trip.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

^o^ I don't know which is the prettier photo: the magnolia or the rainforest!

BD

Anonymous said...

Also, my pa-in-law calls them crap myrtles. I bet you know why!

BD

Theresa said...

nympho librarian. hmmmm. Librarians get all the best roles, don't they?
and your grandpa was born when? My Lord woman, you look good for an 85 yr. old woman!

Bridget said...

What a beautiful building!

I love magnolias (or as my sister called them when she was younger, "mongolias"), they are so elegant and calming. We have a dwarf magnolia in our garden, and it is one of the first things to bloom every spring.