Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Tornadoes

We had weather this past weekend

On Friday a tornado was spotted in the county just west of us, so a warning was issued. (Watch=conditions are right; Warning=tornado has been spotted). We had to round up all the students in the library of Small Public Institution and herd them into the stairwell. Most of them were cooperative and uncomplaining, but one girl wanted to leave the library and, I don't know, do battle with the tornado? Oh, to be young and indestructible again. The warning got cancelled, so we all got back to what we were doing beforehand.

It rained most of the day on Saturday. I was snoozing in the recliner with a cat on my lap when a thunderstorm moved into the area. I didn't hear any of it until a loud clap of thunder occurred right over the house. The electricity cycled off and on about three times in the space of two seconds, causing the lamp by the chair to flash several times in quick succession. This scared the cat and she launched herself off my lap like she'd been shot out of a cannon. The cats don't like Thunder Monster.

That was the worst thing that happened on Saturday, but then I found out another tornado warning had been issued on that day. It's a good thing I didn't know that on Saturday, otherwise it would have made my day very tense. Ignorance is bliss. Also very dangerous.

The thunderstorm blew on by and things got calm again. I never heard anything about a tornado touching down in Tift County, thank goodness, although there was some wind damage to the auditorium on the Small Public Institution campus.

According to the weather channel, we're in for some more inclement weather in the next few days. I hope it will just be a nice soaking rain. We've been in a drought for several years now.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

Here we go again. I hope you're on your way home sister, because it looks as though Dorothy and Toto may come flying by any time now!

Bridget said...

Well, I'm sure you could live without that kind of "excitement" - though I'm glad nothing more terrible happened where you were.

We had a sudden and very dramatic hailstorm on Sunday night, but otherwise it's just been the same old same old ...