Thursday, March 19, 2009

She's Reading Again

I didn't tell you enough about my latest reads.

Rough Weather (Robert B. Parker) is one of those novels where you know who did the killing right away, but what you don't know is why. That's the mystery. It's a good story, well told. I remember Parker's earlier Spenser novels were not as lean as his current ones, i.e., they were more wordy. Now he uses lots of snappy dialogue which makes for more white space on the page. He seldom has long paragraphs of narrative. But you don't miss a thing. As I said, good story, well told.

J.A. Jance also tells a good story. Her novels are more dense with words than Parker's, but there are no wasted words, no filler. Justice Denied, which I recently finished, is excellent. It's one of her J.P. Beaumont series. It helps to have read her earlier books in the series as the story of J.P. evolves with each one. This current novel has a complex plot which keeps you guessing all along. I didn't figure out anything until the detectives did, and then the fun part was watching them scramble to catch the bad guys before they skipped the country. (I hope I haven't told too much.) J.A. Jance has two other series which I also read; in fact my TBR pile contains a Joanna Brady novel.



I am currently reading Careless in Red by Elizabeth George. It's 623 pages of small type without much white space at all. It will not be a quick read. Elizabeth George always writes lengthy novels. She got the body on the floor (so to speak) right away, and we're currently trying to figure out why this person is lying and why that other person is cranky. Each character in the novel has his or her own story -- and his or her own agenda. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Well, I must get back to the book. It won't read itself, y'know.

No comments: