Thursday, March 26, 2009

If It's A Family Gathering, There Will Be Food

We went to my sister-in-law's home in Senoia, GA, for a family dinner. We were celebrating both Richard's birthday and our niece Katie's birthday. Beverly and Paul (SIL and husband) are centrally located, so they usually host the family gatherings. For lunch we had a low-country boil, as it is known in Georgia. In South Carolina, it's also called either Beaufort Bog or Frogmore Stew (Beaufort and Frogmore are two towns between Charleston and Savannah). For those of you unfamiliar with this particular meal, it consists of red potatoes, smoked sausages, corn on the cob, and shrimp cooked in a large pot of water flavored with Old Bay seasoning. Because Beverly and Paul don't have a huge pot, they cook theirs in stages: first the potatoes and sausages and then the corn; that's all removed from the pot when it's done and then the shrimp goes in.





I don't have a picture of the shrimp because by the time it came to the table, I was too busy shoveling food into my mouth and I forgot about taking its picture! Silly me.



Because we were celebrating birthdays, there was cake.



This is the lemon pound cake before the feeding frenzy.



Here's the cake after.

Just because spring has arrived, here's a picture of the Confederate jasmine growing on Beverly and Paul's back deck. [Edited: This is NOT Confederate jasmine, but rather Yellow Jessamine (the state flower of South Carolina); I was misinformed.]

Richard's birthday gift from Katie was a whole bunch of gourmet foods that we can't get down here in the Georgia Outback. Katie went shopping at Trader Joe's Market in Atlanta. I meant to take a picture of all this bounty, but sometimes I have a little trouble getting all my youknowwhat into one sock and I failed (sort of like with the shrimp picture).
I always have a good time at my in-law's and this past Sunday was no different.

2 comments:

Bridget said...

That sounds like it was a lot of fun!

(And as far as I'm concerned, if there's food, it is fun ...)

Theresa said...

Excuse me? What exactly is it that you put in your socks??
My verication word this time is phoottle. Sounds like what I do after eating beans.