Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Book Report and Laughing Fits

I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. It didn't have much in the way of a plot, but it was good reading. And I love the way it ended. I would recommend it to anyone. There were some really dark aspects to the novel, but, as in any good story, they were not gratuitous. This book is one that I might read again sometime.

I have a large stack of unread books in my house. I have books by Robert B. Parker, Margaret Maron, Martha Grimes, Janet Evanovich, Sue Grafton, Carl Hiaasen, Alexander McCall Smith, Beverly Connor, Laurie R. King, Jacqueline Winspear, James D. Doss, Tony Hillerman, Sharon Kay Penman, Barack Obama, and others I can't remember right now, just waiting for me. I don't know what to read first. Maybe I'll just close my eyes and grab the first one I lay my hands on. I'll let you know what I pick.

I love laughing fits. Richard and I have been laughing for years over something that happened when we were dating. We were going to a Burger King for dinner, and as we were crossing the parking lot, I let out a very loud belch. Not on purpose, you understand. This eructation was a complete surprise. It was of the kind that men win contests with. It reverberated off buildings several blocks away and set off car alarms all over town. We just dissolved in laughter. This event will forever be known in family history as the Burger King Belch.

Once I heard Robin Williams on TV liken Ross Perot to a cross between and Ferengi and a mongoose. I laughed until I was out of breath and in pain. Laughing fits strike at the most unexpected times. Sometimes it doesn't take much to set one off. Another time I was reading one of Lawrence Block's Bernie Rhodenbarr mysteries. Bernie Rhodenbarr is a used bookstore owner and a "reformed" thief. Of course, he only burgles homes when he's trying to solve a murder. He knows that he must be stone cold sober in order to do some breaking and entering. In the scene that I laughed so hard over, Bernie and his friend Carolyn were in a bar and he was getting drunk on purpose because he didn't want to break into a house for his own gain. As he and Carolyn got drunker and drunker, the conversation got funnier and funnier. I can't remember which book it was in (dammit), but I'd like to read it again to see if I now think it's nearly as funny as I did then. While I don't usually have repeated laughing fits over some thing, I always remember the funniness with a smile.

I guess you had to be there.

The camera has arrived. Yay! I have to install some software on our computer and then learn all the ins and outs of tinkering with digital pictures. That shouldn't take too long (she said, optimistically). Maybe some of my pictures will be as good (probably not) as those taken by Lene, who writes The Seated View. She really has an eye for composition. She's my role model.

Later, Dear Readers. Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

You can belch and poot with the best of them honey!!