Tuesday, February 3, 2009

A Blog About Books

Currently I am reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. It was a Christmas gift from my brother-in-law's brother, Mark. I usually read mysteries, but every once in a while I like to throw in something different, and this book does the trick. It's written as a series of letters and the storytelling is quite effective. It has humor and sadness and a little bit of intrigue. I'm enjoying it and I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I hope no one is looking for a book review from me. I'm not very good at that. But I am a great audience. I readily suspend my disbelief and really get involved with whatever book I'm reading. I remember reading Bellefleur, by Joyce Carol Oates, and I felt as if I had been kicked out of the family when I finished. If I recall correctly (I read it years ago), the family included a vampire or two.

My grandmother was a great reader. In the 1930s, when Gone With the Wind came out, Grandma went to her local public library (this was in South Dakota) and asked if they had the book yet. She was informed, in no uncertain terms, that not only did the library not have that scandalous book, they were not going to get it (censorship in action). Grandma harrumphed and went to the local junior college library and checked it out. She would have loved the American Library Association's Banned Books Week; she'd have used the list as her reading guide.

I come from a family of readers. Grandma and Grandpa both read a lot, as did my parents, and now my sister, Carla, and I are carrying on the tradition. Carla sometimes reads a book twice in a row if she especially enjoyed it. I have a friend, Beverly Connor, who writes mysteries and is a published author. You can find her books on Amazon. Carla always reads Beverly's books twice. I can read a book twice, but I have to wait until I've forgotten whodunit before I read it a second time.

I must mention a book that I read last year: Holmes on the Range, by Steve Hockensmith. This is a western mystery. Two brothers, Big Red and Old Red Amlingmeyer, are cowboys who drift from one job to another. Old Red can read and likes to read Sherlock Holmes stories in magazines. He fancies himself a sleuth and tries to solve mysteries as Holmes would. The funniest part of the book is when he gathers the suspects together to name the killer. I almost had a laughing fit. I checked Amazon recently and Hockensmith has a couple more in the series. I think I'll put them on my wish list.

I'm expecting my camera to arrive this week (keeping my fingers crossed). When it does (and I learn how to use it) I can post pictures of the cats and the knitting.

I'd love to hear what you're reading. Leave a comment. Ta-ta for now.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Hey, I read TGL&PPPS over Christmas. I liked it - a lot! I'm reading the Edgar Sawtelle book now. And The Plague of Doves, by Louise Erdrich. And I have Winter Study by Nevada Barr sitting here, waiting patiently. YOu know, if you'd listen to audio books, you could knit and "read", at the same time. :)