Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Kindness


Some things you don't see enough of in the world are random acts of kindness.

Several years ago, Richard and I went to Chattanooga to visit the Tennessee Aquarium. We had a good time, the Aquarium was very impressive and interesting: really huge tanks filled with lots of creatures from southeastern waters.

But the touristy stuff is not about random acts of kindness.

As we were leaving town to drive back home, we stopped at a Waffle House for breakfast. The place was crowded and we sat at the counter. I was looking around, as I usually do in public places, watching the people. An African-American woman came in to eat but the only table available had not yet been cleared off. A man sitting beside me, a customer no less, got up and cleared the table for this woman. He didn't have to do that. He could have waited until the waitress did it, but he didn't. He saw a need and took care of it. It surprised me because I had made a snap judgement about this man based on the way he looked. I would have sworn he had just come off an all-night drunk, plus I thought he was a redneck, of the type not interested in helping a black woman do anything. (Don't get me wrong; I know that not all rednecks are racists.) He taught me several lessons just by his actions. He was a gentleman and his random act of kindness touched me. I remember him when I have an opportunity to choose between being kind and being indifferent. I hope I always make the right decision.

Ta-ta for now.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I think coming to my house to clean would be a random act of kindness. Just pretend I didnt' write this.